Wireless Security Guide
This guide will take you through the process of configuring, changing or checking the wireless security settings on an existing wireless network.
This guide will not assist you to setup a new wireless network. Please refer to the wireless setup document for your model available from the support section of the NetComm Wireless website.
Any changes to your wireless security settings will require you to reconfigure wirelessly connected devices to use the new security settings. Please ensure that you have your wireless setup guide handy for this.
Step 1: Selecting a wireless security type:
There are a number of different types of wireless security to select from.
Before changing your settings, check the types of security available on your modem/router and then consult your wireless adapter manufacturer to ensure your wireless adapter is compatible with your chosen security type.
The most commonly used security types are:
- WEP (64bit or 128bit)
- WPA (Radius)
- WPA2 (Radius)
The majority of wireless adapters should support one (or all) of the above security types.
You will be unable to utilise Radius server authentication without having a Radius server in place and configured on your network.
Step 2: Selecting a wireless security key:
Once you have chosen which wireless security type you want to use on your network, you will then need to create your wireless security key or wireless password.
Depending on the security type you choose, you will have the option of using either an ASCII or HEX format key.
ASCII refers to any letter or number you can see on your keyboard.
HEX refers to the letters A to F and the numbers 0 to 9.
You will need to ensure that your security key is the correct length. Your modem/router will display the required number of characters (letters and/or numbers) you need.
Step 3: Setting up your wireless security:
Please ensure that your modem/router is connected to your computer using an ethernet cable before continuing.
1. Navigate to http://192.168.20.1 in a web browser.
2. Enter �admin� as both the username and password before pressing the Login button.
3. Select the Wireless 2.4GHz Tab.
4. This is the basic wireless tab where you have the option change the wireless security key. After making any change to the security key select the Save and apply the changes button.
5. If you would like to use a different wireless security type click on the Switch to advanced view option at the bottom of the page.
6. Select the Wireless 2.4GHz option from the �Network Setup� menu.
7. Select the wireless security type you would prefer to use from the Authentication field(we�re using WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK for the example).
8. Select the Encryption type you would prefer to use from the Encryption field. We are using TKIP / AES for the example.
9. After selecting your desired security and encryption type, enter the wireless security key you would like to use into the �Pre-Share Key� section and click �Save�.
Any changes to your wireless security settings will require you to reconfigure any wirelessly connected devices to use the new security settings. You will now need to re-setup any wirelessly connected computers with the new wireless security key. Please ensure that you have your wireless setup guide handy for this.